Friday, February 3, 2012

Holidays and Colombus

Upon review of my life I am coming to the realization that I hate holidays. I'd like to issue an official apology to the roses are red poem. The poem, although nonsensical and poorly written, did not deserve the bashing I gave it earlier. The blame truly rests on the holiday itself. Valentine's day, which every year i dread, seems to me to be a waste of a day. Unlike many of my friends, I do not mind doting on the ones i love, nor do I object to a day dedicated to caring for your loved one. but that's just the issue. Why should we single out a special day to do these things, when in reality, if you care about someone, you should do this all year long? It's like Christmas. I understand that it's a religion-based holiday, and I'm not opposed to celebrating the birth of the Christ-Child. But for everyone that quips that the day is set aside to bask in the glory of giving or whatever... Isn't that a practice that should be present in our daily lives?


In fact, i'd like to take this one step further while I'm up on my soap-box. The only holidays I feel like we have ANY business celebrating are Halloween, New Year's, The fourth, and Armistice Day. (AKA Veteran's Day. But my reasoning for returning to Armistice day is that, once again, veterans should be glorified every day, not just one day. The armistice day celebrates the end of the first world war on 11/11. you know. a one time thing. But I digress)

Furthermore, All of these holidays like Colombus day need to freakin' go. Christopher Colombus was an asshole. Ge was an Italian that wasn't wanted in Italy, so he was exiled to Spain, where he then was treated like a bad penny. They sent him away, he kept coming back. So the Queen funded a voyage to get rid of him and make money. It wasn't to prove the world was round. In fact, contrary to your primary school education, the popular belief by everybody but the Catholic church was that the world was round. It was to get rid of Ol' Chris and hopefully earn a little money.

 ACTUALLY, the "New World" was set foot on originally prior to 1000 AD by the Vikings, specifically Leif Ericson, son of Eric the Red, who was exiled to Greenland for his war crimes, and perhaps had done some extra Journeying. This all happened about 500 years before Columbus.  Then the Celtic peoples followed and had DOCUMENTED MAPS of much of upper New England prior to Colombus' excursion.

So screw Colombus. and Screw his holiday. AND screw most holidays, because we as intelligent thinking logical beings shouldn't have to have a special day to just "be nice." and if you do, you're probably an asshole. ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment